Winner: Green Award for Sustainability 2015

Winner: Green Award for Sustainability 2015
May 2015: Target Worm Counts, the Winner of the Green Award for Sustainability 2015, joined by Gracie

Friday 18 October 2013

Gloucestershire Animal Welfare Association and Cheltenham Animal Shelter

18th October 2013

Animal Shelter Induction

I've just got back from my induction and I CANNOT WAIT TO GET STARTED!
I can do a variety of tasks such as cleaning kennels, catteries and hutches for the small animals, which I honestly don't mind doing. I can walk some of the dogs, I will start off being able to walk Green dogs which are docile and I will have the opportunity to be trained to handle amber dogs and eventually progress onto red dogs.
I can also assist in the onsite charity shop, as the charity doesn't receive any government funding it's important that they receive as much help as they can as it costs £500, 000 a year to run the shelter
Also, there are shifts for 'cat cuddling' which I cannot wait to do either as I miss my cat :( It does have a benefit to the animals as it gets them used to being handled by people for when it comes to rehoming :)

I met a gorgeous whippet called Odin, he's one of the lucky ones who is going to a new home at the weekend and we were shown the dog walking procedures, making sure they wouldn't escape and other important things for the dog's welfare.









I also met this gorgeous girl who's also up for adoption, she's so affectionate! She's called Poppy.

The shelter also has an onsite vets called CAS Vets. As it is only a small practice dealing with the shelter animals and ones that have been rehomed it's a quiet practice so there is the possibility I could observe here.

Onwards and upwards! 

If you fancy having a look at the work they do, here's their website :) http://gawa.org.uk/
Twitter @cheltenhampets

No comments:

Post a Comment